There are plenty of tourist guides for visitors about Lithuania. But we consider EUSO 2012 participants to be not tourists but friends therefore the information below is a warm welcome to meet friends in Vilnius on April 2012.
- Lithuanians enjoy the fastest Internet in Europe
- That is why. It is extremely easy to contact us: Lithuanians have the highest number of mobile phone connections per person and the second fastest Internet in the World. During your stay in Vilnius you will be provided with a free WiFI (access) at the hotel. So send the best moments to your friends in the fastest way or invite them to join EUSO 2012 on Facebook!
- Vilnius Old town is one of the largest in Europe
- That is why. Named to be one of the greenest cities, Lithuanian capital offers a list of places of interest that can be reached by foot or using public transportation. All participants of EUSO 2012 will be provided with free passes for transportation to explore the city. Guests will be accommodated in the area of historical old town, which is internationally famous for unique blend of architectural styles. While exploring the tremendous variety of Lithuanian crosses on the roofs of churches, one can easily notice colourful hot air balloons in the sky as Vilnius is the only capital in the world where they are launched from the city centre. There will be whole day for EUSO 2012 participants to find out why Vilnius is a place to come back.
- Vilnius university is the biggest in Baltic countries and the smallest in Brussels
- That is why. One of the oldest schools in Eastern Europe, Vilnius University leaves unforgettable experience for every visitor of this spectacular ensemble. EUSO 2012 guests will be invited to take a peak from the tallest tower in Vilnius old town and visit historical library that stores the oldest printed Lithuanian book. But history passes and Lithuanian scientists raise new fame, as Lithuanians are widely recognised experts in biotechnology, laser physics and other fields. The Scientific Committee of EUSO 2012 is working hard to make your tests the most creative ever.
- The real Centre of Europe is in Lithuania
- That is why. Most of the delegations will head towards East or North to come to Vilnius, but scientists claim that Lithuania is the heart of Europe, at least in geographical sense. You may easily access interesting synthesis of modern art and nature in the Park of Europe located at the very geographical centre of Europe. Our country was always the place to stop for travellers from West to East or North to South. Lithuanian city Klaipėda is the Northernmost ice-free port in Eastern Baltic coast, it as well offers the fastest railway connection to China. EUSO 2012 guests are offered to consider staying in Lithuania for longer and visit other places of interest in the country or neighbouring states.
- You can walk the Lithuanian coastline in ONE day. Fast.
- That is why. Only 99 km of sea front may seem so little, but it offers both restless resorts and nature wonders. You literally can feel the desert with a sea view in Neringa – another place listed as a UNESCO World Heritage. But back in 15th century that was not the only sea Grand Duchy of Lithuania had access to. Once the largest European country was extended all the way from Baltic to Black sea.
- Welcome to the Heart of Basketball
- That is why. There are no doubts about Lithuanians’ passion in basketball. A small country is always in the top of FIBA listings and it seems that life stops during championships like the one in 2011. But it is so much more than a game: don’t be surprised to meet people in Lithuanian Fans’ apparel on the streets or on TV. EUSO 2012 participants will be able to test their accuracy on the basketball field anywhere in the city or special night event.
- Žuvėdra is the best Latin Dance team in the world
- That is why. Every second person in this country can lead in dance and the rest can follow the lead. Special National Songs and Dance festivals are organized once in a couple of years to gather more than 100 000 Lithuanians in one place to celebrate musical traditions. It is a national phenomenom in Baltic countries which is even included into the UNESCO World Heritage list as to be an accredited world-line cultural worth. If you’re more into contemporary music you can join us on the annual “Street Musician Day”.You will spend two restless evenings dancing on 24th and 26th of April during EUSO 2012. So, make sure you don’t forget your dancing shoes and something to play music with for special Talents’ Night.
- Lithuania was the last pagan country in Europe
- That is why. Even till the 15th century the Grand Duchy of Lithuania maintained its Baltic pagan culture worshiping oak trees and other symbols of religious significance. The oak tree is still a symbol of longevity and strength; wreath of oak leaves is presented for achieving great victories. Winners of EUSO 2012 also will not leave the event without their oak leaves. Religion is still very important for Lithuanians nowadays. Recent census indicates that approximately 80% of population refer to themselves as Roman Catholics. Visitor may easily feel this visiting just a few out of about 40 churches in Vilnius. Even the EUSO 2012 Opening ceremony will be held in one of most spectacular churches on the Vilnius university campus.
- Lithuanian men are strongest in the World
- That is why. It may be for long centuries of courageous fights for independence but Lithuanian people are widely recognized for their strength and stamina. Some can lift weights over one ton, other pulled a car or lifted a lady using his beard. A record is expected to be attempted during EUSO 2012 as well but science rather than strength will be the focal point there.
- Lithuanian language is one of the oldest living language of the Indo-European family
- That is why. Astonishing similarity between extremely difficult Lithuanian language and archaic languages that most European tongues evolved from, will not stop you from learning “Labas” (Hello) or “Kuo tu vardu?” (What’s your name?). Lithuania has one of the highest percentage of bilingual population in EU, but it is always beneficial to know that sneezing-sound of Lithuanian word “ačiū” (achew) is just a simple “Thank you”. Do not miss the possibility to learn this unique language while staying in Vilnius during EUSO 2012.
- The tallest Lithuanian building is bigger than the highest hill in the country
- That is why. This flat country with the highest point of 294 meters may not be the best choice for outdoor skiing holidays, but it has many interesting buildings to visit. Some of them are used for unusual purpose: TV tower, for example, becomes a huge basketball net or the tallest European Christmas tree. There are more amazing ideas for the artificial Christmas symbol. During EUSO 2012 guests may not find anything about winter festivals, but they surely need to check out the beauty of the Lithuanian Easter eggs’ patterns.
- More than 80% of Lithuanian farms grow potatoes
- That is why. Back in Germany, EUSO 2007 participants had to solve problems about potatoes and lived in hotel similar to a zeppelin. This EUSO will be about ‘potato Zeppelin’ as well, but this time on the dinner table. A distinctive trait of Lithuanian cuisine is the preponderance of potato dishes. But we adore sweets as well.
There are plenty things to explore in Lithuania and we aim to show you the best ones. Before arrival, please check the weather forecast, but an umbrella is a definite item in your must-bring list. Simply because the name Lietuva (Lithuania) derives from “lietus” (rain).